Are you looking for a hearty and delicious vegetarian meal? Look no further than rajma, a popular Indian dish made with kidney beans and aromatic spices. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to make rajma recipe, as well as tips for customizing the recipe to your taste.
Before you begin making rajma, you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Soak the dried kidney beans in water overnight. Drain the water and rinse the beans before cooking.
- In a pressure cooker, add the kidney beans and 4 cups of water. Cook on high heat for 4-5 whistles, or until the beans are tender. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can also cook the beans on the stovetop for 1-2 hours until they are tender.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent.
- Add the minced ginger and garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder. Mix well and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked kidney beans along with the cooking liquid to the pan. Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. This will help the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with steamed rice or naan.
Tips for Customization
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, you can mash some of the kidney beans with a spoon before adding them to the pan.
- If you like a spicier dish, you can increase the amount of red chili powder.
- For a creamier texture, you can add a splash of heavy cream or coconut milk.
- You can also add vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or bell peppers to the dish for added nutrition and flavor.
Rajma is a hearty and delicious vegetarian dish that is easy to make at home. By following our step-by-step guide and customizing the recipe to your taste, you can create a meal that is sure to please everyone at the table.
- Can I use canned kidney beans instead of dried?
- Yes, you can use canned kidney beans, but make sure to rinse them thoroughly before using.
- How long can I store leftover rajma in the fridge?
- You can store leftover rajma in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- Can I freeze rajma for later?
- Yes, you can freeze rajma in an airtight container for up to 2-3 months.
- What can I serve with rajma besides rice or naan?
- You can serve rajma with roti, chapati, or even crusty bread.
- Can I use different types of beans instead of kidney beans?
- Yes, you can use other types of beans like black beans, pinto beans, or navy beans.
Rajma is a versatile and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed any day of the week. With this recipe, you can create a delicious and healthy meal that is sure to become a family favorite. Give it a try and let us know how it turned out!
You can also read – Sambar Recipe: A Delicious and Nutritious South Indian Delight