If you love South Indian cuisine, you must have heard about Sambar. It is a popular and nutritious dish made with lentils, vegetables, and spices. Sambar is a staple food in many households and is served with rice, idli, dosa, or vada. In this article, we will provide you with an easy and delicious Sambar recipe that you can make at home. So let’s get started!
For the Sambar, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup toor dal (split pigeon peas)
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, beans, pumpkin, drumstick)
- 1/4 cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Follow these simple steps to make delicious Sambar at home:
- Wash the toor dal and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and add the dal to a pressure cooker with 2 cups of fresh water, turmeric powder, and salt. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add cumin seeds, dried red chillies, and onions. Saute until onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and mixed vegetables to the pan and saute for a few minutes.
- Add tamarind pulp, sambar powder, and asafoetida to the pan and mix well.
- Add the cooked dal to the pan and mix well.
- Add water if required to get the desired consistency.
- Add curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Serve hot with rice, idli, dosa, or vada.
Tips and Tricks
- You can use any vegetables of your choice in Sambar. Some popular choices include drumsticks, pumpkin, eggplant, okra, and onions.
- You can adjust the amount of tamarind pulp and sambar powder to suit your taste.
- To enhance the flavor of Sambar, you can add a teaspoon of ghee while serving.
- You can also garnish Sambar with fried onions or crushed roasted peanuts for added crunch.
Sambar is a nutritious and healthy dish that is rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It is a great source of dietary fiber, which helps in maintaining digestive health. The mixed vegetables used in Sambar provide a variety of nutrients and vitamins that are essential for a healthy diet.
In conclusion, Sambar is a delicious and nutritious South Indian dish that can be easily prepared at home. This dish is a perfect blend of lentils, vegetables, and spices and is a great source of essential nutrients. With our easy-to-follow Sambar recipe, you can enjoy this delectable dish anytime, anywhere.
What is Sambar?
- Sambar Recipe is a popular South Indian dish made with lentils, vegetables, and spices.
What are the health benefits of Sambar?
- Sambar is a rich source of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The lentils used in Sambar are a great source of plant-based protein that helps in building and repairing muscles. The mixed vegetables used in Sambar provide essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium that are required for overall health and well-being. The tamarind pulp used in Sambar is a natural antioxidant that helps in fighting free radicals and promoting healthy skin and hair.
Can I use canned lentils for Sambar?
- While using canned lentils is a quick and easy option, it is recommended to use fresh lentils for Sambar to get the best flavor and texture.
Can I make Sambar without vegetables?
- Although vegetables are an essential ingredient in Sambar, you can make it without vegetables too. However, the flavor and nutritional value of Sambar may vary.
Can I store leftover Sambar?
- Yes, you can store leftover Sambar in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat before serving.
In conclusion, Sambar is a delicious and nutritious dish that can be easily prepared at home with the right ingredients and recipe. It is a great way to add plant-based protein and essential vitamins and minerals to your diet. So, next time you crave some South Indian flavors, try making Sambar at home and enjoy this delectable dish with your loved ones.
You can also read – Paneer Recipe: Delicious and Easy Ways to Cook Indian Cottage Cheese